Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Self-Care

I've recently learned a valuable lesson. As a busy mom, I put my children before myself. When they are hungry, I make them food and most of the time forget to feed myself. By the time I remember, I end up eating my meal standing up or between feeding bites to the baby. Or over a nursing baby. When we go out somewhere, more often then not my children are clean, well dressed, clean diapers, bag of "baby stuff" is packed and I have my shopping list.... but am I ready? Nope! I've had a few close calls of *almost* walking out the door in my pajamas. Without brushing my hair (and usually, I don't care enough to run upstairs and brush it... inevitably THAT is when I see someone I know while out!) or brushing my teeth. I think so many mom's can relate.

The valuable lesson though, is that I NEED to take that time for myself. Sometimes I'm dead tired, but I still manage to brush my teeth, wash my face, put together an outfit (sometimes I don't even wear yoga pants!) and EVEN put makeup on. I always feel so much better for it.

Eventually, I learned to do even more for myself.

You know that feeling of relief, of "ahhhhhh, YES!" when you put your freshly bathed babes down for the night and they fall soundly asleep? Instead of watching TV and eating junk food, I sit on the floor and do some gentle stretching, yoga and pilates, followed by some deep breathing and something I discovered called The Tapping Solution (link to follow). Then I'd drink a green tea. Sometimes, depending on the day, a glass of good red wine. Sure, I'd be staying up a bit later, and all those things exerts more energy then what I used to do (lying on the couch eating junk food)... but you know what? I'd fall asleep faster, sleep sounder. I'd wake up feeling more refreshed. I smiled faster at my children and random strangers, and most importantly, I learned to let go of stress MUCH faster. I also have far more energy throughout the day then before.

It is perfectly natural to forget to care for yourself when you have children. There is nothing wrong with that. Children take up so much attention and it's easy to forget yourself as a priority. What I've discovered, is that I am a better mother (and wife!) when I make myself a priority. I'm happier, calmer, more patient and relaxed. It doesn't mean you have to stay up until 1am working out, meditating, painting your nails etc. It's just about finding the beauty in the doing the simple things ALONE. Take your time showering. Do a face mask before getting in the shower. Make yourself a special healthy snack. Meditate. Watch a girly movie. Drink a green tea. Whatever makes you happy! If you find it hard to remember, set the alarm on your phone. Put sticky notes on the mirror. Just do it! MAKE YOURSELF A PRIORITY!!!

Here is a link to a simple and quick guide to Tapping Out. It's really great for releasing stress and giving you a sense of calm after a hard and long day. http://gabbyb.tv/vlogging/how-to-reduce-stress

No comments:

Post a Comment